Cybercrime Investigations: A Comprehensive Resource for Everyone, 1st Edition
by John Bandler and Antonia Merzon
Published 2020 by Taylor & Francis Group (CRC Press and Routledge)
This book was written to help you, your organization, and the next generations of cybercrime investigators take action against cybercrime.
This book provides a comprehensive view of cybercrime and how to investigate it, giving any investigator the knowledge and tools to work on these cases. It recognizes that to fight cybercrime effectively, we need trained investigators who understand the broad implications and investigative avenues of this crime. Many individuals with a diverse array of experience and expertise conduct different aspects of a cybercrime investigation. Others might be responsible for decisions about what resources and priorities to allocate to the investigation. This book is for everyone, not just for "techies" and not just for those with the title of "investigator".
Table of Contents
Part I: Understanding Cybercrime, Computers, and Cybersecurity
- Chapter 1 The Need for Good Cybercrime Investigators (Introduction)
- Chapter 2 What is Cybercrime and Why is it Committed
- Chapter 3 Introduction to Computers, Networks, and Forensics
- Chapter 4 Introduction to Information Security and Cybersecurity
Part II: Law for the Cybercrime Investigator
- Chapter 5 Fundamental Principles of Criminal and Civil Law
- Chapter 6 Cybercrime Defined: The Criminal Statutes Outlawing Criminal Conduct Online
- Chapter 7 The Law Enforcement Legal Toolbox for Investigating Cybercrime (Laws for Gathering Criminal Cyber Evidence)
- Chapter 8 Cyber Investigations Linked to Nation-States or Terrorists
- Chapter 9 Civil and Regulatory Legal Implications of Cybercrime (Cyberlaw in the Civil and Regulatory Sectors)
Part III: The Cybercrime Investigation
- Chapter 10 Embarking on a Cybercrime Investigation: The Three Perspectives and Key Areas of Focus
- Chapter 11 General Investigation Methods: Organization, Open Source, Records, and Email
- Chapter 12 The Private Entity's Cybercrime Investigation
- Chapter 13 Law Enforcement’s Cybercrime Investigation
- Chapter 14 The Regulator’s Investigation
- Chapter 15 Financial Investigation: Following the Cybercrime Money
- Chapter 16 Identification of the Suspect: Attributing Cyber Conduct to a Person
- Chapter 17 Apprehending the Suspect and the Investigation that Follows
Part IV: Litigation (Cybercrime Investigations in Court)
- Chapter 18 Criminal litigation
- Chapter 19 Civil Litigation
- Chapter 20 Conclusion
Throughout the book are vignettes on a host of interesting topics, including the thread case of People of the State of New York v. Western Express International, Inc., et al. We worked on this cybercrime investigation and prosecution for eight years, from the report of the first criminal incident through the defendants' conviction after trial, and it led us across the United States and around the globe.
The book also contains interesting and informative tables, figures, and diagrams. Some of the diagrams feature original art in the cartoon characters.