Articles by John Bandler
This page categorizes and provides links to most of my externally published articles, and some of my internal articles.
I have written many articles on several topics, including cybercrime, cybersecurity, virtual currency (digital currency or cryptocurrency), money laundering, plants, and more. Many articles here are short and blog type, ideal for providing introductory information to a wide audience. It is nice to publish here when I want and have it available for my own reference, for students, clients, and you.
I try to keep things updated but some of the articles are older, laws and circumstances change, and time is limited. None of these articles are legal or consulting advice and nothing is tailored to your circumstances. Many express my opinion and personal perspective.
If you don't see an article listed below, try <control><F> to find it on the page, try my site navigation page, or your search engine (e.g. Google).
Information about my online courses for InfoSec is here (CIPP/US study course and another on the way).
Short blog articles on this site
Cybersecurity, cybercrime, privacy, technology
- Cybersecurity Tips from John Bandler (single page tip sheet)
- Bandler's Four Pillars of Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity forms for the home or small office
- The Three Priority Cybercrime Threats
- Cybercrime Frauds Involving Email and Funds Transfers (Email based funds transfer frauds, like business email compromise (BEC) and CEO fraud)
- Data Breaches
- Introduction to Cybersecurity and Information Security
- Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Part 1 (general legal overview)
- Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Part 2 (listing and brief summary of some laws and regulations)
- Cybersecurity Frameworks and Guidance
- Cybersecurity for the Home and Office (page about my first book and its main principles)
- Cybercrime Investigations (page about my second book)
- The Need for Improved Cybercrime Investigations: Why We Wrote This Book
- Cybersecurity, Privacy, You, and Your Organization
- New York Cybersecurity Requirements and the SHIELD Act
- Privacy, You, Your Organization, and the New NIST Privacy Framework
- Cybersecurity and Working from Home
- Technology at Home with Your Family During the Coronavirus Crisis
- Sextortion phishing- a type of cybercrime extortion fraud
- Virtual currency (e.g. cryptocurrency or virtual assets and "value that substitutes for currency")
- Free Starter Cybersecurity Policy
Governance and management of information assets and organizations in general
- Five Components for Policy Work
- Bandler's Three Platforms to Connect
- Bandler's Fourth Platform to Connect
- Policies and Procedures
- Internal Rules
- Internal Rules Planning
- Internal Rules Building
- ENTER: Five Steps for Governance Documents
- Policies, Procedures, and Governance of an Organization
- Policy and Procedure Research (soon to be References)
Students, Teaching, Learning, Law
- Students, Teaching, and Learning
- Building Better Consumers and Voters
- Tree and Plant Care
- Invasive Plants
- Chinese Seeds, Invasive Plants, and Sowing Opportunity
- Food Allergies
Externally published articles sorted by publication date
(links will probably take you to an external site)
- U.S. privacy and cybersecurity laws — an overview, John Bandler, Infosec Institute, September 20, 2022, https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/topic/u-s-privacy-and-cybersecurity-laws-an-overview/
- Your company’s policies and the law, John Bandler, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, September 12, 2022, https://westfaironline.com/management/your-companys-policies-and-the-law/
- How to learn and pass your next certification exam, John Bandler, Infosec Institute, July 21, 2022, https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/topic/how-to-learn-pass-exam/
- Privacy, you, and your business, John Bandler, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, June 6, 2022, https://westfaironline.com/148491/privacy-you-and-your-business/
- How foundations of U.S. law apply to information security, John Bandler, Infosec Institute, May 31, 2022, https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/topic/how-foundations-of-u-s-law-apply-to-information-security/
- Why information security professionals should learn about law, John Bandler, Infosec Institute, May 5, 2022, https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/certification/why-information-security-professionals-should-learn-about-law/
- Email based cybercrime thefts, John Bandler, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, April 11, 2022, https://westfaironline.com/146840/email-based-cybercrime-thefts/
- Data breaches and your business, John Bandler, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, February 16, 2022, https://westfaironline.com/145435/data-breaches-and-your-business/
- CIPP/US: 5 things to know about privacy and cybersecurity law, John Bandler, InfoSec, February 2, 2022, https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/certification/cipp-us-5-things-to-know-about-privacy-and-cybersecurity-law/
- Privacy And You: Take A Step Forward On Data Privacy Day, John Bandler, informationsecuritybuzz.com, January 31, 2022, https://informationsecuritybuzz.com/articles/privacy-and-you-take-a-step-forward-on-data-privacy-day/
- Ransomware and your business, by John Bandler, Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, November 18 2021, https://westfaironline.com/142669/ransomware-and-your-business/
- An Overview of Cybersecurity Laws Affecting Businesses in New York and Connecticut, by John Bandler, published by Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals, August 18, 2021, https://westfaironline.com/139522/an-overview-of-cybersecurity-laws-affecting-businesses-in-new-york-and-connecticut/
- The Need for Improved Cybercrime Investigations: Why We Wrote This Book, by John Bandler and Antonia Merzon, published by T&F, June 19, 2020, https://www.routledge.com/blog/article/the-need-for-improved-cybercrime-investigations-why-we-wrote-this-book and also hosted on this website.
- A Call for Better Cybercrime Investigation, by John Bandler and Antonia Merzon, published by ACAMSToday, March 2020, https://www.acamstoday.org/a-call-for-better-cybercrime-investigation/.
- The Cybersecurity Article to Read Now, by John Bandler, published by ACAMSToday.org, October 23, 2018, https://www.acamstoday.org/the-cybersecurity-article-to-read-now/.
- After the Equifax data breach: Cybersecurity and identity theft protection for financial institutions and their customers, by John Bandler, published by ACAMS Today, September 18, 2018, Vol 17 No 4, https://www.acamstoday.org/after-the-equifax-data-breach-cybersecurity-and-identity-theft-protection-for-financial-institutions-and-their-customers/.
- Money Laundering Investigations, by John Bandler, an article in the Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management (Springer), August 2018 (DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-69891-5_26-1). Available behind a subscription-wall at https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69891-5_26-1. Cite as: Bandler J.T. (2018) Investigations: Money Laundering. In: Shapiro L., Maras MH. (eds) Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management. Springer, Cham.
- A Day in the Life of an Attorney: The Cybersecurity, Technology, and Crime Risks We Face, by John Bandler, published by the New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2018, Vol 29 No 6. Now hosted on this website.
- Prepare for and plan against a cyberattack, by John Bandler, published by the American Bar Association Journal, July 2018.
- Lawyers, Drugs and Money: AML in Popular Media, by John Bandler, published by ACAMS Today, March 20, 2018, Vol 17 No. 2.
- Network Cybersecurity in Your Home and Office, by John Bandler, published by the American Bar Association GP SOLO Magazine, March/April 2018, Vol 35 No. 2. Hosted and reproduced here with permission from the ABA, Copyright 2018 ABA with all rights reserved by the ABA. The original article is behind a paywall at the ABA site.
- Cybersecurity, Cybercrime, And Our Government, by John Bandler, published October 17, 2017, in the Huffington Post and also hosted here.
- Cybercrime and Fraud Protection for your Home, Office, and Clients, by John Bandler. Published in the American Bar Association's GP SOLO magazine, Volume 34, Number 5, September/October 2017. The article is hosted and reproduced here on this website with permission from the ABA, Copyright 2017 ABA with all rights reserved by the ABA. The original article is behind a paywall at the ABA here.
- Cybersecurity for the Home and Office: A Book Preview by the Author, by John Bandler, published August 2017 by the ABA GP SOLO eReport, and also hosted here.
- The Cybercrime Scheme That Attacks Email Accounts And Your Bank Accounts, by John Bandler, published August 3, 2017, in the Huffington Post.
- Laptop Travel Restrictions, Your Security, And Your Cybersecurity, by John Bandler, published June 29, 2017, in the Huffington Post.
- The Administration’s Treatment Of Law Enforcement Professionals And The Criminal Justice System Is Alarming, by John Bandler, published June 16, 2017, in the Huffington Post
- Poor Cybersecurity Choices Spawned Today’s Current Events, by John Bandler, published June 5, 2017 in the Huffington Post, available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/poor-cybersecurity-choices-spawned-todays-current_us_59359cdfe4b0c670a3ce6729
- Stemming the Flow of Cybercrime Payments and Money Laundering, by John Bandler, published in ACAMS TODAY (Law Enforcement Edition), June-August 2017, Vol. 16 No 3, available at http://www.acamstoday.org/stemming-the-flow-of-cybercrime-payments/
- Cybercrime and Digital Currency, by John Bandler, Published in the ABA Information Law Journal, Autumn 2016, Volume 7, Issue 4, no longer available through the ABA site but available here.
- Dirty Digital Dollars, by John Bandler, published in Fraud Magazine, a publication of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, July/August 2016, available through a member-wall at the ACFE site at https://www.fraud-magazine.com/article.aspx?id=4294993652, Hosted at this website here.
- Marathon Marine: Col. James L. Fowler, by John Bandler, published in Leatherneck - Magazine of The Marines, October 2016, Vol 99, Issue 10, hosted here at https://johnbandler.com/marathon-marine-col-james-l-fowler, or download the full issue from Leatherneck Magazine at https://mca-marines.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Leatherneck-October.pdf
This page is hosted at https://johnbandler.com/articles. Copyright John Bandler, all rights reserved.
Some of my articles are also hosted at Medium.com but won't be as current, lack the references, and might not be formatted as well.