Articles by John Bandler
This page categorizes and provides links to most of my articles. Don't forget my two books, "Cybercrime Investigations", and "Cybersecurity for the Home and Office". If you don't see an article listed below, try your search engine.
I have written many articles on several topics, including cybercrime, cybersecurity, virtual currency (digital currency or cryptocurrency), money laundering, plants, and more. Some of the articles are older, so remember that laws and circumstances change, and also consider that none of these articles are tailored for you.
I have written a number of short articles to provide introductory information for a wide audience including students, clients, myself, and you. I publish here and at Medium.com. This gives me the freedom to write about what I want, when I want, and then have them available for my own reference, for students, clients, and you.
Articles or pages by topic hosted on this site:
Cybersecurity, cybercrime, privacy, technology (short and informative blog articles that I try to update periodically)
- Cybersecurity Tips from John Bandler (single page tip sheet)
- Cybersecurity forms for the home or small office
- Cybercrime Frauds Involving Email and Funds Transfers (Email based funds transfer frauds, like business email compromise (BEC) and CEO fraud)
- Data Breaches
- Introduction to Cybersecurity and Information Security
- Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Part 1 (general legal overview)
- Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Part 2 (listing and brief summary of some laws and regulations)
- Cybersecurity Frameworks and Guidance (coming soon)
- Cybersecurity for the Home and Office (page about my first book and its main principles)
- Cybercrime Investigations (page about my second book)
- The Need for Improved Cybercrime Investigations: Why We Wrote This Book
- Cybersecurity, Privacy, You, and Your Organization
- Policies, Procedures, and Governance of an Organization
- New York Cybersecurity Requirements and the SHIELD Act
- Privacy, You, Your Organization, and the New NIST Privacy Framework
- Cybersecurity and Working from Home
- Technology at Home with Your Family During the Coronavirus Crisis
- Sextortion phishing- a type of cybercrime extortion fraud
- Virtual currency (e.g. cryptocurrency or virtual assets and "value that substitutes for currency")
- Free Starter Cybersecurity Policy (Coming Soon)
- Bandler's Four Pillars of Cybersecurity
Teaching and Learning
- Certifications and Improving Your Knowledge and Credentials Relating to Technology, Cybersecurity, and More
- About the CIPP/US Certification and How to Study for It
- How to Learn and Study
- How to Take an Exam
- How to Write a Paper
- Building Better Consumers and Voters
- Free Speech, the First Amendment, and Social Media
- Introduction to Law (outline)
- Tree and Plant Care
- Chinese Seeds, Invasive Plants, and Sowing Opportunity
- Food Allergies
List of articles sorted by publication date (some links may take you to an external site)
- The Need for Improved Cybercrime Investigations: Why We Wrote This Book, by John Bandler and Antonia Merzon, published by T&F, June 19, 2020, https://www.routledge.com/blog/article/the-need-for-improved-cybercrime-investigations-why-we-wrote-this-book and also hosted on this website.
- A Call for Better Cybercrime Investigation, by John Bandler and Antonia Merzon, published by ACAMSToday, March 2020.
- The Cybersecurity Article to Read Now, by John Bandler, published by ACAMSToday.org, October 23, 2018.
- After the Equifax data breach: Cybersecurity and identity theft protection for financial institutions and their customers, by John Bandler, published by ACAMS Today, September 18, 2018, Vol 17 No 4.
- Money Laundering Investigations, by John Bandler, an article in the Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management (Springer), August 2018 (DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-69891-5_26-1). Available behind a subscription-wall at https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69891-5_26-1. Cite as: Bandler J.T. (2018) Investigations: Money Laundering. In: Shapiro L., Maras MH. (eds) Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management. Springer, Cham.
- A Day in the Life of an Attorney: The Cybersecurity, Technology, and Crime Risks We Face, by John Bandler, published by the New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2018, Vol 29 No 6. Now hosted on this website.
- Prepare for and plan against a cyberattack, by John Bandler, published by the American Bar Association Journal, July 2018.
- Lawyers, Drugs and Money: AML in Popular Media, by John Bandler, published by ACAMS Today, March 20, 2018, Vol 17 No. 2.
- Network Cybersecurity in Your Home and Office, by John Bandler, published by the American Bar Association GP SOLO Magazine, March/April 2018, Vol 35 No. 2. Hosted and reproduced here with permission from the ABA, Copyright 2018 ABA with all rights reserved by the ABA. The original article is behind a paywall at the ABA site.
- Cybersecurity, Cybercrime, And Our Government, by John Bandler, published October 17, 2017, in the Huffington Post and also hosted here.
- Cybercrime and Fraud Protection for your Home, Office, and Clients, by John Bandler. Published in the American Bar Association's GP SOLO magazine, Volume 34, Number 5, September/October 2017. The article is hosted and reproduced here on this website with permission from the ABA, Copyright 2017 ABA with all rights reserved by the ABA. The original article is behind a paywall at the ABA here.
- Cybersecurity for the Home and Office: A Book Preview by the Author, by John Bandler, published August 2017 by the ABA GP SOLO eReport, and also hosted here.
- The Cybercrime Scheme That Attacks Email Accounts And Your Bank Accounts, by John Bandler, published August 3, 2017, in the Huffington Post.
- Laptop Travel Restrictions, Your Security, And Your Cybersecurity, by John Bandler, published June 29, 2017, in the Huffington Post.
- The Administration’s Treatment Of Law Enforcement Professionals And The Criminal Justice System Is Alarming, by John Bandler, published June 16, 2017, in the Huffington Post
- Poor Cybersecurity Choices Spawned Today’s Current Events, by John Bandler, published June 5, 2017 in the Huffington Post, available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/poor-cybersecurity-choices-spawned-todays-current_us_59359cdfe4b0c670a3ce6729
- Stemming the Flow of Cybercrime Payments and Money Laundering, by John Bandler, published in ACAMS TODAY (Law Enforcement Edition), June-August 2017, Vol. 16 No 3, available at http://www.acamstoday.org/stemming-the-flow-of-cybercrime-payments/
- Cybercrime and Digital Currency, by John Bandler, Published in the ABA Information Law Journal, Autumn 2016, Volume 7, Issue 4, available through the ABA site at: https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/science_technology/2016/ilj_volume7_issue4.authcheckdam.pdf
- Dirty Digital Dollars, by John Bandler, published in Fraud Magazine, a publication of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, July/August 2016, available through a member-wall at the ACFE site at https://www.fraud-magazine.com/article.aspx?id=4294993652, Hosted at this website here.
- Marathon Marine: Col. James L. Fowler, by John Bandler, published in Leatherneck - Magazine of The Marines, October 2016, Vol 99, Issue 10, hosted here at https://johnbandler.com/marathon-marine-col-james-l-fowler, or download the full issue from Leatherneck Magazine at https://mca-marines.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Leatherneck-October.pdf