Paper Topic Ideas and Areas
by John Bandler
This pertains to the course Paper Topic Assignment, to give some ideas about potential paper topics.
- This is a general page to cover all of my courses, be sure to follow any specific instructions for your course, and to pick a paper topic relevant to your course.
- A first step in finding a paper topic relevant to your course is reviewing the course syllabus and assigned readings.
- This page lists general topic ideas and areas, it is your job to refine a general topic into a more specific paper title.
- All of these areas relate to law, since all of my courses relate to law in some way and most have a strong focus on law. Thus, whatever topic and title you choose, remember to find a legal tie-in.
- Ideally, you pick a topic that is of interest to you, and even helpful for your future career.
- Can't decide or don't know where to start? Let me know well in advance of the due date for the paper topic assignment. I'll give you a topic, then you can get to work on the assignment.
- Put in effort and thought and research before choosing and submitting. While it is expected that your titles and topics may evolve and change slightly as your research and writing progresses, topic changes are not allowed.
- Remember to read the paper topic assignment instructions before submitting.
Cyber law related topics, law and cybercrime, cybersecurity, privacy, technology
- Negligent cybersecurity
- Analyze the elements of a cause of action for "negligent cybersecurity". First consider traditional negligence. The apply it to cybersecurity and evaluate relevant case law. Examine the legal issues and potential factual issues.
- Attorney ethical requirements for cybersecurity
- Negligent privacy?
- Privacy statutory violations
- New cybersecurity and privacy laws
- After the data breach. Evaluate all legal implications with a focus on costs and potential legal and regulatory actions.
- Standards of cybersecurity. What is the legal standard now?. What should it be? What is reasonable cybersecurity? What is negligent cybersecurity? How is this determined?
- Analyze the elements of a cause of action for breach of contract regarding cybersecurity. For example, a contract specifies there must be "reasonable cybersecurity". One party sues the other alleging breach of contract for inadequate cybersecurity. Examine the legal issues and potential factual issues.
- How might information security frameworks play a role regarding legal standards of cybersecurity? By frameworks, I mean examples such as: NIST CSF, NIST 800-53, ISO 2700x, COBIT, CIS CSC (top 20)
- Cybersecurity Laws and Frameworks: How they Combine to Establish a Standard of Reasonable Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity Frameworks and how they can Help Protect from Cybercrime and Comply with Legal Requirements
- Examine the various state laws regarding data breaches and notification/reporting requirements and why there is no unifying federal standard. Is this overly burdensome? Should there be a unifying rule?
- Challenges and solutions for organizations complying with different laws, regulations, and frameworks relating to cybersecurity and privacy.
- Examine cybersecurity regulations and laws, their purpose, evolution, etc.
- Are people susceptible to being manipulated through online misinformation, propaganda, lies, or deceptive marketing? What are the current laws to address this? How does this relate to the First Amendment? Who puts out this misinformation? (Nation states, marketers, politicians?)
- Nation state, terrorist cyber operations and attacks, the law and its application.
- Privacy rights and privacy policies: Are policies effective to protect privacy, is it possible for users to give knowing consent regarding the use of their data?
- Free speech vs. harassment and stalking on the internet and how do we regulate speech on the internet? Discuss free speech vs. civilly actionable vs. criminally actionable.
- Jurisdiction in "cyberspace". Examine how each government entity can asssert jurisdiction
- The NYS SHIELD Act and implementation and enforcement history
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), implementation and enforcement history.
- Enforcement of "unfair trade practices" and cybersecurity policies/practices
- Enforcement of "unfair trade practices" and privacy policies/practices
- Virtual currency (including cryptocurrency) and current laws and regulations.
- IS 647 only: Legal duties in creating and administering software, hardware, information systems, etc.
- Examine why better cybersecurity will not eliminate cybercrime? The Battle Between Cybercrime and Cybersecurity: Will There Ever be a Winner?
- See the table of contents (TOC) of my book on Cybercrime Investigations.
- See the course syllabus to see what the course covers.
- See the articles on this website to see if an article covers a relevant topic of interest.
- Other ideas?
Private security and law related paper topic areas (law, private security and policing compared to public policing)
- Discuss premises liability for crimes committed on a property against tenants or others using the property. E.g. liability of the owner or landlord or property manager for crimes committed by third parties. Negligence law, contract law, etc.
- How do you build or manage a security program (or manage a security company) to ensure it complies with applicable laws, including contract, negligence, regulatory requirements.
- Compare and contrast legal requirements for arrests and searches by law enforcement compared to arrests by private security
- Discuss the various laws and restrictions that apply to the conduct of private security and law enforcement. What laws apply to both, what laws apply to one, but not the other?
- Discuss civil liability issues for private security. What laws might lead to liability, how can security managers reduce their potential liability? Consider negligence law, contract law, etc.
- Discuss how the public sector and private sector investigate and prosecute crime together and individually.
- Evolution of constitutional law relating to arrest, search, and seizure by law enforcement.
- New technology and implications for private security and law
- A topic related to the syllabus or the coursebook
- Final paper project (overview)
- Paper topic ideas (this page)
- Paper topic assignment
- Paper outline assignment instructions and template
- Paper presentation
- Final paper assignment instructions.
- Course Resources
- Assignments and Grading
THIS ARTICLE IS A DRAFT AND IN PROGRESS
Posted 6/26/2022 based on years of teaching. Updated 10/18/2022