Ethics, Cybersecurity, and the Law: Protecting Yourself, Your Organization, and Your Family (2021)
NOTE: This page was created for a 2021 presentation which is now an annual event and I improve it each year.
This page is not updated and you can see the current presentation page for updated and improved materials and links here.
This webpage was created for a presentation by John Bandler on May 5, 2021, hosted by Pace University, as a complimentary benefit for the Pace community. All attendees will obtain valuable knowledge about cybersecurity and law. Attorneys will earn one continuing legal education (CLE) credit in Ethics.
The Pace Law link for this webinar was: https://law.pace.edu/news-and-events/events/cle-ethics-cybersecurity-law-protecting-yourself-your-organization-your
CLE Materials include
A PDF of the slide deck was available for download shortly before and after the presentation via this webpage.
Short informational articles about the three priority cybercrimes to protect against:
Cybersecurity related forms you can use to list the information assets in your home or small organization.
Longer articles about cybersecurity and lawyers
- The Cybercrime Scheme That Attacks Email Accounts and Your Bank Accounts, John Bandler, Huffington Post, August 3, 2017, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-cybercrime-scheme-that-attacks-email-accounts-and_b_59834649e4b03d0624b0aca6, hosted here too.
- A Day in the Life of an Attorney: The Cybersecurity, Technology, and Crime Risks We Face, John Bandler, New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2018, Vol 29 No 6, https://johnbandler.com/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-attorney-cybersecurity-technology-crime-risks/
- Cybercrime and Fraud Protection for your Home, Office, and Clients, John Bandler. American Bar Association GP SOLO magazine, Volume 34, Number 5, September/October 2017, https://johnbandler.com/bandler-john-cybercrime-fraud-prevention-aba-gp-solo-septoct-2017/
- Prepare for and Plan Against a Cyberattack, John Bandler, American Bar Association Journal, July 2018, http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/prepare_plan_against_cyberattack
ABA Formal Opinions
- ABA Formal Opinion 477R (revised May 22, 2017), Securing Communication of Protected Client Information. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba_formal_opinion_477.pdf
- ABA Formal Opinion 483 (October 17, 2018), Lawyers’ Obligations After an Electronic Data Breach or Cyberattack. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba_formal_op_483.pdf
- ABA Formal Opinion 498 (March 10, 2021), Virtual Practice. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba-formal-opinion-498.pdf
More of John's articles and information about his books are available a: https://johnbandler.com/articles/.
About Pace and this CLE
Pace University's law school is called The Elisabeth Haub School of Law, and I graduated from there in 2002. Now, I teach one course per year at the law school and one at the Seidenberg school of Computer Science and Information Systems.
Some enterprising folks at the law school provide a tremendous benefit for Pace Law Alumni -- periodic free CLE webinars -- and this presentation is a part of that.
Uniquely, this presentation was made available to the entire Pace U. community since it offers important information about law and cybersecurity which is valuable to both lawyers and non-lawyers. It is a pleasure to be a part of this program and to make this contribution to the Pace community.
Posted 4/29/2021. Updated 5/06/2021 and then 12/26/2021 to fix some outdated ABA links.
This page is not maintained or updated, remember to see the most updated presentation landing page (see top).