Media mentions and appearances
John is regularly consulted and quoted in various media based on his experiences with cybersecurity, cybercrime, criminal justice, law, and more. A sampling of some of the mentions is below.
- Transit police officials blast DA Hayden for dismissing misconduct charge against their own officer, The Boston Globe, 10/31/2022, https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/10/31/metro/transit-police-officials-blast-da-hayden-dismissing-misconduct-charge-against-their-own-officer/ (paywall)
- Suffolk tipped off to possible cyberattack months before Sept. 8, Newsday, 10/15/2022, https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/suffolk-county-ransomware-cyberattack-warning-raymond-tierney-htvu6iy8
- Suffolk County ransomware attack: What you need to know, Newsday, 9/20/2022, https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/suffolk-ransom-computer-bellone-oesmn24a
- Cybercriminals claim responsibility for Suffolk cyber hack, county says, Newsday, 9/16/2022, https://www.newsday.com/long-island/politics/suffolk-cyberattack-bellone-hw9ft004
- An off-duty Suffolk police officer escaped alcohol testing after a car crash that fractured 2-year-old Riordan Cavooris’ skull, Newsday, 8/19/2022, https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/police-officer-car-crash-investigation/
- A former Eastchester Police Department officer is alleging that the department focused excessively on vehicle and traffic tickets, Journal News/LoHud, 7/21/2022, https://www.lohud.com/story/news/2022/07/21/traffic-ticket-pressure-rampant-among-eastchester-police-ex-officer-claims/65369784007/ (paywall)
- Hackers breached several of MTA's computer systems in April, WABC New York Eyewitness news, 6/2/2021, https://abc7ny.com/mta-hack-computer-nyc-new-york-city/10734358/
- NYC rolls back qualified immunity for police officers, Pix 11, 3/26/2021, https://pix11.com/news/local-news/nyc-rolls-back-qualified-immunity-for-police-officers/
- Suffolk police let Peter Fedden go after a drunken-driving crash. He got back behind the wheel and died, Newsday, 4/21/2022, https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk-police-peter-fedden-crash/
- Metaverse experts reveal if you can MURDER someone in virtual world - and whether you can be punished, 4/10/2022,
- PREDATOR 'HAVEN' Warning Metaverse is a ‘playground for pedophiles as sex offenders can groom kids using child-friendly avatars’, US Sun, 4/7/2022, https://www.the-sun.com/tech/5066519/metaverse-sexual-explotation-children/
- Ransomware and cyber attacks could test New York SHIELD Act, Crain's New York, 6/10/2021, https://www.crainsnewyork.com/technology/ny-law-businesses-should-know-about-cyberthreats-intensify (paywall)
- Travis DA Jose Garza faces uphill battle in cases against officers, Austin American Statesman, 4/5/2021, https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/04/05/travis-da-jose-garza-faces-uphill-battle-cases-against-officers/4821940001/ (paywall)
- Data Privacy and Consumer Protection, WSHU The Full Story, 6/25/2019, https://www.wshu.org/the-full-story/2019-06-25/data-privacy-and-consumer-protection
- Quest Diagnostics Says Up to 12 Million Patients May Have Had Financial, Medical, Personal Information Breached, NBC New York, 6/3/2019, https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/quest-diagnostics-12-million-people-data-breach-2/1828773/
- Getting Rid of Tree Roots From Next Door, NY Times, 6/3/2017, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/realestate/getting-rid-of-tree-roots-from-next-door.html
- Street gangs turn to white collar crime, Marketplace, 3/9/2016, https://www.marketplace.org/2016/03/09/street-gangs-turn-white-collar-crime/
I believe in the importance of our free press and good journalism. I try to help journalists understand the issues, law, facts and present my perspective so they can do their job well when presenting to their audience. Hopefully they have done good research into the facts and spoken to many sources of information and insight. If I provide an opinion to them based upon information provided to me, I reserve the right to re-evaluate my opinion after learning additional facts.
I do not control anything the journalist writes or does, nor their opinion and what their editor and publisher does. Thus, listing these media mentions does not imply approval of the article, or how I was quoted. I might share hundreds or thousands of words with a reporter on a particular inquiry -- maybe I influence their reporting, maybe not, and it is their choice what they choose to quote and why. To see a better example of what I think, see some of the articles and opinion on this site (though my usual disclaimers apply).
This page is hosted at https://johnbandler.com/media-mentions-and-appearances. Copyright John Bandler, all rights reserved.