Cybersecurity, Law, and Ethics: Protecting Yourself, Your Organization, and Your Family (2022)
NOTE: This page was created for a 2022 presentation which is an annual event and I improve it each year. The 2023 landing page has been created so click here to see an updated version. **
On May 5, 2022, John Bandler presented valuable knowledge about cybersecurity, law, and professional responsibilities for attorneys. It is hosted by Pace University's School of Law, as a complimentary benefit for the entire Pace community. All attendees will learn and attorneys will earn one continuing legal education (CLE) credit in Ethics.
This is the second annual Cinco de Mayo cybersecurity extravaganza, and will not be recorded so attend live and start your 5/5 celebrations early.
The Pace Law link to sign up for this webinar was: alumni.pace.edu/may-cle (Pace community only at this time)
CLE Materials include
- My speaker bio as hosted by Pace
- A PDF of the slide deck was available for download shortly before and after the presentation via this webpage here. (Come see my next presentation for the slide deck)
- Cybersecurity Tips from John Bandler (one page tipsheet)
- Bandler's Four Pillars of Cybersecurity
- The three priority cybercrimes to protect against, including:
- Introduction to Cybersecurity and Information Security
- Policies, Procedures, and Governance of an Organization
- Three Platforms to Connect
- Cybersecurity, Privacy, You, and Your Organization
- Cyber Insurance
- Cybersecurity and Working from Home
- Cybersecurity book overview page
- Cybercrime Investigations book overview page
- Cybersecurity related forms you can use to inventory the information assets in your home or small organization (computer devices, data, accounts, network, etc.)
Longer articles by John about cybersecurity, law, and lawyers
- A Day in the Life of an Attorney: The Cybersecurity, Technology, and Crime Risks We Face, John Bandler, New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2018, Vol 29 No 6, https://johnbandler.com/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-attorney-cybersecurity-technology-crime-risks/
- Cybercrime and Fraud Protection for your Home, Office, and Clients, John Bandler. American Bar Association GP SOLO magazine, Volume 34, Number 5, September/October 2017, https://johnbandler.com/bandler-john-cybercrime-fraud-prevention-aba-gp-solo-septoct-2017/
- Prepare for and Plan Against a Cyberattack, John Bandler, American Bar Association Journal, July 2018, http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/prepare_plan_against_cyberattack
- Network Cybersecurity in Your Home and Office, John Bandler, American Bar Association GP SOLO Magazine, March/April 2018, Vol 35 No. 2, https://johnbandler.com/network-cybersecurity-home-office/
- Lawyers, Drugs and Money: AML in Popular Media, John Bandler, ACAMS Today, March 20, 2018, Vol 17 No. 2, https://www.acamstoday.org/lawyers-drugs-and-money-aml-in-popular-media/
- The Cybercrime Scheme That Attacks Email Accounts and Your Bank Accounts, John Bandler, Huffington Post, August 3, 2017, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-cybercrime-scheme-that-attacks-email-accounts-and_b_59834649e4b03d0624b0aca6, hosted here too.
ABA Formal Opinions
- ABA Formal Opinion 477R (revised May 22, 2017), Securing Communication of Protected Client Information. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba_formal_opinion_477.pdf
- ABA Formal Opinion 483 (October 17, 2018), Lawyers’ Obligations After an Electronic Data Breach or Cyberattack. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba_formal_op_483.pdf
- ABA Formal Opinion 498 (March 10, 2021), Virtual Practice. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba-formal-opinion-498.pdf
NYSBA's recommendation about cybersecurity training
- NYSBA Recommends Cybersecurity CLE Requirement (2020), https://nysba.org/new-york-state-bar-association-recommends-cybersecurity-requirement-include-cle/
- NYSBA Report recommending cybersecurity CLE, https://nysba.org/app/uploads/2020/06/3.-Report-and-recommendations-of-Committee-on-Technology-and-the-Legal-Profession-Agenda-Item-9-with-comments.pdf
NYS new cybersecurity CLE requirement (new order signed 6/10/2022)
Attorneys admitted in NYS now must earn CLE in cybersecurity
- NYS Courts FAQs on Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection, https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/attorneys/cle/Cybersecurity-Privacy-and-Data-Protection-FAQs.pdf
- NYS Courts Guidance Relating to the New Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Category of CLE Credit, https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/attorneys/CLE/Cybersecurity-Privacy-and-Data-Protection-Guidance-Document.pdf
- Joint Order of the Judicial Departments of the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court adding a cybersecurity, privacy, and data protection CLE requirement amending Title 22 NYCRR 1500.2 et seq. (and sequence) at this link (too messy to spell out)
Learn more about privacy law
Learn about the CIPP/US certification and my course on privacy and cybersecurity law.
- About the CIPP/US Certification, How to Study for It, and Reference List
- My coupon code at the Infosec Institute
To explore more of this site:
About Pace and this CLE
This is the second annual Cinco de Mayo presentation of this cybersecurity and ethics CLE.
Pace University's law school is now officially The Elisabeth Haub School of Law, and I graduated from there in 2002. Now, I teach one course per year at the law school and one at the Seidenberg school of Computer Science and Information Systems (CSIS).
Some enterprising folks at the law school (Lori) provide a tremendous benefit for Pace Law Alumni -- periodic free CLE webinars -- and this presentation is a part of that.
Uniquely, this presentation is made available to the entire Pace U. community (not just lawyer types) since it offers important information about cybersecurity and law which is valuable to everyone, no matter profession. It is a pleasure to be a part of this program and to make this contribution to the Pace community.
This page is hosted at https://johnbandler.com/cybersecurity-law-ethics-pace-cle-2022-5-5, copyright John Bandler all rights reserved.
Posted 1/18/2022. Updated 11/14/2022.
This page is not updated - see the top for the link to the more current presentation page.