Cybersecurity for Lawyers: Secure Yourself, Your Firm, and Clients (2024 for TRTCLE)
This is a landing page for my live CLE program hosted by TRTCLE, and contains CLE materials helpful for any attorney.
This is a DRAFT and work in progress. The course will not go live until 2024.
John Bandler presents valuable knowledge about cybersecurity, law, and professional responsibilities for attorneys.
Attorneys will earn 1 CLE credit, see the TRTCLE site for details.
The TRTCLE landing page to sign up for this CLE **will be here when available ** and in the TRTCLE image at right when available
CLE Materials include
- My speaker bio
- Speaker bio at TRT CLE, https://www.trtcle.com/our-faculty/280/john-bandler-esq
- Read About me on this site
- A PDF of the slide deck will be available for download shortly after the presentation via the TRTCLE platform.
- Cybersecurity Tips from John Bandler (one page tip sheet)
- Bandler's Four Pillars of Cybersecurity
- The Three Priority Cybercrime threats to protect against, including:
- Identity theft
- Technology basics
- Introduction to Cybersecurity and Information Security
- Cyber Insurance
- Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Part 1
- Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Part 2
- Five Components for Policy Work
- External Guidance
- Cybersecurity, Privacy, You, and Your Organization
- Cybersecurity and Working from Home
- Cybersecurity book overview page
- Cybercrime Investigations book overview page
- Cybersecurity Policy (Free Version)
- Cybersecurity related asset inventory forms you can use to inventory the information assets in your home or small organization (computer devices, data, accounts, network, etc.)
- Incident response
- Cybersecurity and Cybercrime Prevention (a comprehensive course outline, with extensive linked resources)
- Cybersecurity for attorneys (a short article followed by all CLE resources - including the CLE resources linked to here)
Externally published articles by John about cybersecurity, law, and lawyers
- Attorneys on alert for cybersecurity threats: New York's new CLE training requirement, John Bandler, Reuters Legal News, July 19, 2023, hosted here and available at Reuters at https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindustry/attorneys-alert-cybersecurity-threats-new-yorks-new-cle-training-requirement-2023-07-19/
- A Day in the Life of an Attorney: The Cybersecurity, Technology, and Crime Risks We Face, John Bandler, New York State Bar Association Journal, July/August 2018, Vol 29 No 6, https://johnbandler.com/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-attorney-cybersecurity-technology-crime-risks/
- Cybercrime and Fraud Protection for your Home, Office, and Clients, John Bandler. American Bar Association GP SOLO magazine, Volume 34, Number 5, September/October 2017, https://johnbandler.com/bandler-john-cybercrime-fraud-prevention-aba-gp-solo-septoct-2017/
- Prepare for and Plan Against a Cyberattack, John Bandler, American Bar Association Journal, July 2018, http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/prepare_plan_against_cyberattack
- Network Cybersecurity in Your Home and Office, John Bandler, American Bar Association GP SOLO Magazine, March/April 2018, Vol 35 No. 2, https://johnbandler.com/network-cybersecurity-home-office/
- Lawyers, Drugs and Money: AML in Popular Media, John Bandler, ACAMS Today, March 20, 2018, Vol 17 No. 2, https://www.acamstoday.org/lawyers-drugs-and-money-aml-in-popular-media/
- The Cybercrime Scheme That Attacks Email Accounts and Your Bank Accounts, John Bandler, Huffington Post, August 3, 2017, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-cybercrime-scheme-that-attacks-email-accounts-and_b_59834649e4b03d0624b0aca6, hosted here too.
ABA Model Rules
- ABA Model Rules, https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/model_rules_of_professional_conduct_table_of_contents/
ABA Formal Opinions
- ABA Formal Opinion 477R (revised May 22, 2017), Securing Communication of Protected Client Information. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba_formal_opinion_477.pdf
- ABA Formal Opinion 483 (October 17, 2018), Lawyers’ Obligations After an Electronic Data Breach or Cyberattack. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba_formal_op_483.pdf
- ABA Formal Opinion 498 (March 10, 2021), Virtual Practice. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/aba-formal-opinion-498.pdf
NYS Rules of Professional Conduct for Attorneys
The NYS Rules of Professional Conduct for Attorneys is found in the New York Code of Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Title 22 (Judiciary) Part 1200 (Rules of Professional Conduct). Or, for short, 22 NYCRR 1200. Relevant are portions on the attorney duties of confidentiality, competence and more. You can find the rules here:
- NYS Rules of Professional Conduct on Westlaw (public access)
- NYS Rules of Professional Conduct via NYSBA with comments as amended through 8/2/2022
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), https://nysba.org/attorney-resources/professional-standards/
- NYS Courts - Legacy versions are readily available, individual orders are too, so this is not as helpful http://ww2.nycourts.gov/rules/jointappellate/index.shtml
NYS newish cybersecurity CLE requirement (order signed 6/10/2022, effective 1/1/2023 and 7/1/2023)
Attorneys admitted in NYS now must earn CLE in cybersecurity
- NYS Courts Categories of CLE Credit as Defined in the New York State CLE Program Rules 22 NYCRR 1500.2(c)-(h), https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/ATTORNEYS/CLE/NY-CLE-Program-Rules-22-NYCRR-1500.2c-h.pdf
- NYS Courts FAQs on Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection, https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/attorneys/cle/Cybersecurity-Privacy-and-Data-Protection-FAQs.pdf
- NYS Courts Guidance Relating to the New Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection Category of CLE Credit, https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/attorneys/CLE/Cybersecurity-Privacy-and-Data-Protection-Guidance-Document.pdf
- Joint Order of the Judicial Departments of the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court adding a cybersecurity, privacy, and data protection CLE requirement amending Title 22 NYCRR 1500.2 et seq. (and sequence) at this link (too messy to spell out)
NYSBA's 2020 recommendation about cybersecurity training (their recommendation became a rule, so just see the rule above)
- NYSBA Recommends Cybersecurity CLE Requirement (2020), https://nysba.org/new-york-state-bar-association-recommends-cybersecurity-requirement-include-cle/
- NYSBA Report recommending cybersecurity CLE, https://nysba.org/app/uploads/2020/06/3.-Report-and-recommendations-of-Committee-on-Technology-and-the-Legal-Profession-Agenda-Item-9-with-comments.pdf
To explore more of this site:
John's CLEs for attorneys on cybersecurity
In 2017 my first book was published, Cybersecurity for the Home and Office, The Lawyer's Guide to Taking Charge of Your Own Information Security, from the American Bar Association (ABA).
Since then I have been providing continuing legal education (CLE) to attorneys about securing their information assets.
Some are afraid of technology and cybersecurity but should not be. It is a learning process and everyone can learn and improve.
TRTCLE offers online continuing legal education for attorneys in all U.S. states, districts and territories. They offer excellent value and many quality instructors and courses.
More coming soon.
My author page at TRTCLE is https://www.trtcle.com/our-faculty/280/john-bandler-esq
This page is hosted at https://johnbandler.com/cybersecurity-for-lawyers-trtcle, copyright John Bandler all rights reserved.
Posted 6/15/2023 (building on prior years' work). Updated 07/27/2023.